500 Main St Tarboro, NC 27886 (252) 823-7241

St. John's Episcopal Church

St. John’s Episcopal Church
1891; S side 200 block E. Main St. at
Cemetery St., Battleboro
The village church is an especially fine example of the board-and-batten, Gothic Revival mode favored by Episcopalians who continued to be inspired by Richard Upjohn’s Rural Architecture (1852ff.) as they erected mission churches in the late 19th c. The corner entrance tower rises to a crenellated roofline and tall spire, complementing the board-and-batten walls and lancet windows. On its completion, it was praised by Bishop Theodore Lyman as “so tasteful and well-ordered a Church Building.”